A Time of Growth and Opportunity
Graduates of the University of Cincinnati online BS in Medical Laboratory Science program can look forward to expanding their career opportunities. Industry trends point to the need for experienced medical laboratory scientists increasing steadily over the years to come.
Trends in Medical Laboratory Science
- Growth in the range and complexity of available tests and services.
- Advances in medical laboratory science equipment and automated testing techniques.
- Advancements in molecular testing to diagnose and treat conditions.
- Increased opportunities for research based on large and more easily accessed data sets.
- Aging patient population in need of regular testing for chronic disease states and disease management.
- Medical laboratory science talent shortage in hospitals, clinics and laboratory centers across the United States.
- Skills gap exacerbated by laboratory employees retiring.
A Convergence of Ambition and Analytics
Working in the medical laboratory science field can be an exciting career choice for individuals who want to play an important role in diagnosing illnesses and creating subsequent treatment plans. The laboratory is where many medical discoveries start, whether that means consulting with physicians to understand a patient’s condition or working with researchers to uncover new breakthroughs.
The contributions of professionals with a Medical Laboratory Science degree are critical to our future as patients and health care workers.
Salary Outlook and Expectations
The Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates that employment for individuals with a Medical Laboratory Science degree will grow 16% from 2012 to 2022, much faster than the average for all occupations. While salaries will vary by geographic location and urgency of the hiring need, the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) 2013 Wage Survey reports the following average annual salaries based on job title:
Education and Experience
It is generally accepted that education and experience will add to your marketability as a medical laboratory science professional. The University of Cincinnati online Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Science is designed to do just that, with innovative curriculum tailored to:
- Working clinical laboratory technicians and medical laboratory technicians.
- Students who hold an associate degree from an NAACLS-accredited CLT/MLT program or equivalent coursework and CLT/MLT certification.
- Individuals who want to prepare to sit for the Board of Certification exam sponsored by the American Society for Clinical Pathology for the Medical Laboratory Scientist credential.